John Hanks Collection
Title: John Hanks Collection
Call Number: DAL.SMS.081
Repository: Drew Archival Library of the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
Location: Small Collections Box 3
Quantity: 1 folder
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to researchers
Acquisition Information: Collection acquired prior to 2007
Preferred form of citation: DAL.SMS.081, John Hanks Collection in the Drew Archival Library of the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
Finding Aid prepared by: Carolyn Ravenscroft, Jan. 2015
Scope and Content:
The John Hanks Collection consists of one letter written by Charles Stedman Hanks (Boston, MA) to “Mr. Alden” in 1903, in reference to the land of John Hanks in Duxbury, MA. Also included are copies of five deeds, all copied in 1894 from the originals dating from 1749-1791.
John Hanks (1709-1742) was a “bloomer,” or ironworker, in Duxbury, MA. In 1734 he married Mary Delano, the daughter of Philip Delano, Jr. In 1737 he leased property, including 3/4 of a forge, from Jepheth Bichnell on land adjacent to the South River in Duxbury. In 1739 he leased the other 1/4 of the forge from Isaac Partridge of Duxbury. Later, in 1741, he purchased 40 acres from David Alden. After his death, his wife, Mary, became the administrator of his estate.