Calvin Turner Collection
1825 and c. 1900
Title: Calvin Turner Collection
Dates: 1825 and c. 1900
Call Number: DAL.SMS.086
Repository: Drew Archival Library
Location: Small Collections Box 3
Quantity: 1 folder
Access restrictions: Collection is open to researchers
Acquisition Information: Acquired prior to 2007
Preferred form of citation: DAL.SMS.086, Calvin Turner Collection, Drew Archival Library of the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
Finding Aid prepared by: Dmitri Rusinak, Duxbury High School intern, May 2015.
Scope and Content:
The collection consists of one document memorializing the death of George Turner who had been lost at sea in 1825. Also included is a typed list of the shops built by Calvin Turner of Medford, MA.
George Turner was born in 1803 to Calvin Turner and Rhoda Briggs. At the age of 22, on November 11, 1825, he was washed from the deck of the ship Marcus (Joseph Drew of Duxbury was the Master).
Calvin Turner (c. 1776-1849) was born to Calvin Turner, Sr. and Sarah Baker. In 1802 he married Rhoda Briggs in Pembroke, MA. Shortly thereafter, he moved to Medford and opened the second shipyard in that town, at the corner of Cross and Ship streets. There he built over twenty-five vessels between 1804-1816. Calvin and Rhoda had eleven children, all born in Medford.